This is the third year that Donegal Tourism has undertaken 'Greening Donegal' and it has grown from strength to strength, with lots of new buildings taking part every year.
With Donegal named as the Coolest Place in the World in 2017, this year we want to put Donegal firmly on the map when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day Greening!
We would encourage everyone in Donegal to come together to green local landmarks, attractions, heritage sites and any other places or buildings that would look great in green! By working together we can make Donegal the Greenest County in Ireland for 2017. The benefits of which are far reaching and will positively impact on visitor numbers in the future.
Tourism Ireland are in their 8th year of greening worldwide where we see Niagara Falls, the Empire State Building in New York, the Sky Tower in New Zealand and the Great Wall of China (to name a few) to go green!
Why Go Green?
• The photo will be shared across websites and social networks for govisitdonegal.com, donegalgathering.com, malinwaters.com, donegaldiaspora.ie, donegalcoco.ie
• The photo will be included and circulated on all e-mail marketing campaigns including links back to your website and social media channels.
• The photo will be sent to Failte Ireland and Tourism Ireland for further extensive marketing coverage.
• Your greening initiative will be included in local and national media campaigns both online and offline. This is a great way to showcase Donegal to the world!
Share to the @Go Visit Donegal facebook page which has 18,000 followers and we will share them from here
Use Twitter @govisitdonegal and the images will be shared from here
Where can I purchase light filters?
- Light filters can be purchased in lighting shops throughout €12.00 (please check with your local suppliers)
- Purchase the link on ebay here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-X-PRIMARY-COLOURS-Lighting-Filter-Gel-Sheets-21-x-48-PRIME-RED-BLUE-GREEN-/151368912001?hash=item233e4a4c81:g:mZ4AAOSwQYZWt2tN
How to apply green light filter ?
Click here to find out how to apply the green light filter.
How to Go Green?
• Get together with local community groups and decide on a location to go green.
• Utilise existing lighting - the campaign should be cost effective rather than cost generating
• If the attraction is flood lit, then green lighting gels are an easy and inexpensive way to go green and these can be purchased online or in some specialist lighting shops.
• Arrange for your chosen location to go green on or before St. Patrick's Day
• Promote on your own websites and social media channels.
- Tag @govisitdonegal on Facebook and Twitter
- Use hastag #greeningdonegal17
• While there is no funding available, it is hoped that local communities will be able to organise greening projects themselves and in return they will receive extensive free marketing coverage
• Donegal Tourism Ltd will include your greened location on all marketing campaigns!
TIP: Lighting Filter Gels Explained
One of several options for 'greening' is to use Lighting Filter Gels, which are transparent coloured material often used in theatre lighting. Gels are a cost effective (paper) thin sheet of polycarbonate/polyester and can be placed in front of existing flood lights to give a nice colour effect, ideal for Greening!
Filter Gels are made so that they can withstand high temperatures and can be purchased online or in some lighting shops.They come in rolls that can be cut to size. Google 'lighting filter gels' for more information. It is recommended that you seek advice on purchasing the correct lighting gel for safety reasons.
Go Green, Get Involved!
Details also available on www.countydonegaltourism.com website